our origins, our work, our passion
In 1671, Comino Sella purchases a vineyard in Lessona, a small winemaking district already established in the making of prestigious red wines, the fruit of exceptional soil and ancient marine sands. For 350 years, each generation of the Sella family has assiduously cared for the estate’s vineyards, conscious that these are part of the great cultural patrimony of Piedmont.
``Vittorio Sella, Bramaterra, Tenuta Sella 1926`` photo library
Sella Foundation, Biella
the first tracks
Date reported on the deed of purchase of a vineyard in Lessona by the 'de Bulgaro family, located in a place called «al Zoppo», still part of the Tenuta Sella today.
the textile origins
The Sella family began its business in the field of fabrics, having wool artisans produce fabrics and financing entrepreneurs from the local community.
year zero of sella wines
The Sella family acquires the first properties in the historic terroir of Lessona, investing part of the proceeds derived from the consolidated textile company. The winemaking business begins.
Italian Alpine Club
On the initiative of Quintino Sella, the Italian Alpine Club was founded, a free national association, whose article 1 of the statute states "has as its aim mountaineering in all its manifestations, the knowledge and study of the mountains, especially the Italian ones, and the defense of their natural environment"
a toast to unity
The finance minister Quintino Sella offered the Lessona for the toast to the unification of Italy.
the expansion of the estate
Years in which Carlo Sella, on behalf of the heirs of Giuseppe Venanzio Sella, purchased numerous plots of land to plant vineyards in the Bramaterra terroir. It was the Sella family who first valorized its potential.
the foundation of the bank
Year of inauguration of the banking and credit institution founded by Gaudenzio Sella, still known today by the name of Banca Sella.
sella & mosca
Erminio Sella and Edgardo Mosca founded Sella & Mosca in Alghero
the first international recognitions
«Gold medal diploma», obtained by Sella wines at the First International Wine and Olive Oil Sample Exhibition in Milan, a result reconfirmed in 1928 in Turin.
the work continues
The National Oenological Commission classifies «Lessona» among the most prized wines in the nation.
"wine to wine"
“pure fragrance, pure scent, pure spirit and a very subtle flavour”. This is how Turin-born Mario Soldati defines Lessona in his iconic book written following a visit to the company accompanied by Venanzio, Maurizio and Fabrizio Sella.
The «Application for Recognition of the Controlled Designation of Origin of Lessona wine» strongly desired by the Sella family is accepted. Lessona becomes DOC wine. Three years later the DOC Bramaterra was also recognized.
The Lessona and Bramaterra estates were formally united with the establishment of Agrisell and the production site was concentrated in Lessona.
coste della sesia
Twenty years later, the cultivation of DOC vineyards in the area between Biella and Lessona is permitted, thus opening up new opportunities.
discover our wines and vintage collectionsRead more
Three centuries of history in the heart of upper Piedmont
A notarial document from 1671 attests that Comino Sella acquired vineyards in Lessona as an investment of cash surpluses from the family's industrial textile activities. Between the 17th and 19th centuries numerous sales deeds demonstrate the desire of the family's descendants to invest in vineyard land in Lessona.Between the 1830s and 1840s, Giovanni Giacomo Antonio Sella had the main villa and the outbuildings built right on the top of the Zoppo vineyard, an excellent cru for exposure, in all likelihood the same one already mentioned in a deed from 1436. Around 1870, in the division of the inheritance between the three sons of Maurizio Sella, Gaudenzio, Quintino and Giuseppe Venanzio Sella, it was the latter who took over the Lessona properties.learn more
The Sella family decided to expand the estate and invest in the still mostly rugged and wild territory of Villa del Bosco to plant vineyards. Between 1882 and 1884 Carlo Sella, on behalf of Giuseppe Venanzio's heirs, progressively purchased the various lots of the "Bramaterra" property from the Municipality of Villa del Bosco and commissioned Don Paolo Antoniotti, a priest and man of science, to take care of their reclamation. In the years 1892-1893, based on a design by Gaudenzio Sella, the construction of Cascina Bramaterra began, the rural building that still dominates the estate today.A few years later, at the beginning of the 20th century, the Bramaterra vineyards came into production; the wine that was produced was, finally, and still is, "Bramaterra".After the death of Giuseppe Venanzio, great-grandfather of the current owners, the management of the vineyard was continued by his sons - great textile industrialists - and above all by his wife Clementina Mosca.From the 1930s onwards Venanzio (1901-1990) took over the management of the company until the mid-1980s, continuing in the direction of qualitative excellence and becoming an active part in the process of obtaining the D.O.C. obtained in 1976 from Lessona and in 1979 from Bramaterra.His son Fabrizio (1929-2001) took over as head of the company.